Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Ryland

Last Wednesday I took Ryland to the doctor's because he had been fighting a cold/cough for a couple of days but Tuesday night it actually woke him up several times during the night. Typically I don't take the kids to the doctor unless they've run a fever for several days or things seem to be "off" for them and waking up in the middle of the night is very off for Ryland.


Jayden gets an ear infection after/during most colds (no talk of tubes yet) but Ryland seems to be more immune to ear infections but susceptible to other things (acid reflex as a baby, sensitivity to antibiotics). Of course they gotta be different!


ANYWAY I was surprised by the concern of his pediatrician (of the group, she is very thorough but relaxed in a "experienced mom way"; I value her opinion). After listening to his chest she decided he should have a nebulizer treatment. Following the 10 minute treatment she took his pulse ox to verify his oxygen intake. (A little nerve racking for a mom. It was like being a first time mom all over again).


Ultimately he was fine and responded well to the treatment. Some kids fight it and scream the entire time and others seem to know its helping. Ryland, thankfully, is part of the latter group. She did recommend bringing home the nebulizer and giving him treatments (up to 3 times a day) for a week.


We went back today and she recommended continuing with the treatments until he hasn't coughed for 3 to 5 days. Although he hasn't gotten rid of the congestion yet she doesn't feel he needs to be on antibiotics/steroids. We are having terrible smoke here due to all the forest fires so that isn't helping and, if you didn't already know, Todd has a bit of a sinus/congestion issue...always! :-)


Although we aren't there...yet, there is a high correlation between acid reflex and asthma.


Here is a picture of my 'lil champ. He's kind of hunched over (I think the elastic feels restrictive on the back of his neck).

2 comments:

Tara said...

Bless his heart (and yours too!) He is a little champ holding that thing on his nose- What a big boy not to "freak out" with something on his face like that. I'm glad that the treatments are working and hopefully he will not need any other medicine or future asthma treatment.

(We've had a lot of friends from church need these nebulizer treatments...but after using it until the cough disappeared they haven't needed anything else. I hope that will be the case with you all too!)

Praying for ya'll!
Love,
Tara

leah said...

poor little guy... I'm so sorry he's having to go through all these treatments! I hope that this works!!

Followers