I am so excited!
Last year was a really tough year! I still enjoy being a counselor but the stressors of parents, testing, and "other duties as assigned" have really worn me out. I eluded to my hectic schedule here and my full plate here. What I thought I wanted, what I prayed to happen, what I begged Todd to allow was to TAKE THE YEAR OFF! I even started talking about it last November! I was willing to give up a car, home school the kids, take a night job, do whatever it took. But after this, I knew that not working was not going to be an option. Fast forward a couple of months and I began to look into the option of job sharing.
I approached one of the other counselors about the possibility and she agreed (she too was looking for a change). We got the approval from our principal, approval from the superintendent, and finally approval for the school board. In June I was notified that it.was.official.
Typically Guidance Counselors work 206 days (10 more days than teachers, 26 more days than students). Under the job sharing contract, I will work 104 days this school year. Most weeks I work Monday and Tuesday and then every other Wednesday. This week I worked Monday and Tuesday only.
I am looking forward to taking/picking the kids up from school, getting household stuff during the day, volunteering, and refueling my spirit!
In effort to keep my days, Jayden's days, and Rylands day straight I copied a wallet-sized-calendar highlighted the heck out of it and had it laminated.
4 comments:
Oh Mindy, I am so happy for you!!! Job sharing was a great idea! You will be so productive on your off-days and be able to be more involved with J's and R's school days too. I'm so excited for this new role!
That is awesome Mindy, sounds like the perfect solution!!
What a praise! Job sharing sounds like the perfect way to have the best of both worlds. So thankful you found someone else who wanted to do it and that it was approved all the way up the chain of command! Let the rejuvenation and fun begin...
Congratulations! This sounds perfect and like something you really needed. Very happy for you and the brood!
Post a Comment