Thursday, July 14, 2011

38 week - update

At yesterday's visit my midwife scheduled an ultrasound (on Friday) and induction date (on Tuesday) for me.

I began the appointment by asking her; When does an induction become an option? Remember I've never been pregnant this long, am physically uncomfortable, and an emotional wreck; so I was looking for an end. Clearly patience is an issue for me! After measuring me she noted that I continue to measure small. However my due date is correct based on my last period and first ultrasound measurements (at 20 weeks).

Back ground information. I have consistently measured small this entire pregnancy. At my 20 week appointment my uterus was 2 inches below my belly button (the average zone). I haven't paid close attention to how far off I have been, but each time they contributed it to the fact that he had been laying transverse (side ways) in my uterus and therefore may not be giving a true reading. The benefits of having a transverse baby...he is never near my rib cage!

However this visit, I was not only smaller (34 weeks instead of 38 weeks; +/- 2 is the acceptable medical parameters) but have not shown growth over the last visits. Logically this is a little misleading to me because I see someone different each visit and have different clothes on each visit which both effect how I am measured.

She said this can be due to several reasons.
1.) I have small babies. Thankyouverymuch! (6.4 lbs & 6.7 lbs).
2.) Low amniotic fluid
3.) The baby has stopped growing.
The ultrasound on Friday (@ 9:00 am) will determine, if any, which is the case.

Based on those result I will either be induced or scheduled for a c section earlier because of complications, wait until my Tuesday to be induced or cancel the induction if he is not ready.

My mom asked how I was doing mentally and I told her I wasn't sure. One one hand, the midwife was very reassuring that she believes everything is fine. And obviously it wasn't an emergency otherwise some kind of action would have taken place yesterday. On the other hand, how can I not think about the what if's?

My devotion for last Friday, which I ironically (or not) didn't read until Monday titled "It's not what you think" by Micca Monda Campbell from Proverbs 31 left me with this:

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord (Ish 55:8). We can rest assure that God's thoughts, ways, and plans are more marvelous than anything we can imagine ourselves. Dear Lord, help me to see my circumstances through your eyes and not mine. teach me that your ways are good and marvelous and they can be trusted."

And so I will remember (or keep reminding myself to!)

5 comments:

Linda said...

Oh Mindy, what a perfect devotion for such a time as this! We will be praying as you have your ultrasound tomorrow, that God would flood your hearts with peace. "Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you." I Peter 5:7

leah said...

Will be praying for your appointment on Friday Mindy, keep us posted! Love that devotion, just perfect :)

Tara said...

Mindy, I have prayed for you and Cooperson several times today. I pray that God's perfect peace would keep your mind from worrying and that you would trust in His unfailing love and plan for you. Please keep us updated as to how he's doing and what the doctors say. The good news is that you will get to meet him very soon!!! Praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Praying for you. Min. Patience, trust, faith. Cooperson will be here soon! Laurie

leah said...

Prayed for you this morning Min that Cooperson was perfect in every way on the ultrasound.

Followers