Friday, April 22, 2011

C.L.S

Thank you to my loyal commenters about our little Cooper! (Even my mom made an appearance.)

I was tempted to give the background on our name decision and Tara just gave me the extra incentive I needed.

But first I have to start with the first...

Back in 2004, I liked the name Aiden. It had become very popular due to the show Sex and the City. But I wanted something a little different. We ended up with Jayden after cycling through the alphabet and added the "y" for masculinity.
We settled on Cato (my maiden name) because we wanted a significant middle name and because I love the nickname Jay-cee (Aunt Laurie gets credit for that one!).

Shortly after Jayden, I knew if we had another boy I wanted something that started with Ry. I love the nickname Ry-Ry. For most of my pregnancy we were wavering between Ryerson and Ryland.
When deciding on a middle name (again looking for something significant) we decided on Francis. Francis is Hottie's dad's name. It became undeniable once Hottie predicted Ry being born on 4/7, he's father's birthday too. (I did have Ry on 4/7, 17 days early!)

Well when you combine Ryerson with Francis and Soich you're almost bound to curse the poor kid with a lisp! Not REALLY but it did sway us to go with Ryland :).

#3. I've mentioned that we had a girls name (Adderlyn Katheryn) picked out and some of my favorite for boys; Colson, Braxton, and Keaston. Hottie was dead set against all of them. (More so than any of the other names we contemplated for Jay & Ry. He particularly thought Colson sounded like Coleslaw. Lol)

The one name he kept coming back to was Cooper. I really like Cooper but wanted something that ended in the "n" sound.

I also don't love Cooper Lee . It's not enough syllables. Guess I have a thing for 4 (jay-den-ca-to & ry-land-fran-cis).

Lee is not only my middle name but is also my mom and Hotties mom's middle name. It is also my maternal grandfather's name and my-favorite-cousin-named-Nick's middle name. Significant enough for ya?
When I approached Hottie with adding 'son' to Cooper (Borrowing it from Colson) he agreed!

4 syllables? Coop-er-son-lee. Check!
Ends in the 'n' sound? Check!
Hottie agreed? Check!
Different first initial than the other 2? Check! I didn't want 2 with the same (ie Jayden and Jackson) and not the other.
Stayed away from A & B initials? Check! You have to be careful with the last name Soich! ( ie A*S or BS)
Both boys like it? Check!

And there you have it! Everything that went into coming up with Cooperson Lee Soich. It's a big decision but ultimately when it feels "right", it is perfect!

3 comments:

Tara said...

Oh, I'm so glad that you shared!!!! I love details like this! Sounds like it is the perfect name that meets all the criteria!!! Welcome Cooper!!!

Linda said...

Wow, lots of thought and much to consider when choosing the perfect name! Good job...can't wait to meet him!

Jaime said...

Love it!

Followers